|Title||Burning of Hampton|
|Summary||Robert Hudgins' account of the burning of Hampton in August, 1861 by the Old Dominion Dragoons. The narrative lists officers of the Old Dominion Dragoons at the time, marching from Yorktown to Hampton via the Back River Road past the half-way house, Bethel church, Chesterville farm, Cloverdale and the Lamington Road, Downey farm, Sinclair's corner, the bridge over New Bridge creek (which had been destroyed) and New Market bridge, to the western side of Hampton near Queen Street. Hudgins was sent down the Fox Hill road to stand guard and saw the flames of the town burning from Jefferson Sinclair's farm. Hudgins' account then describes the orders given to start the fire near the wharf, deciding on the nearby frame home of Mrs. Eliza Jones. Finally, Hudgins describes several homes, churches and courthouse on King Street burning, until consuming the area between the wharf on the south, Hampton River on the east, Mallory Avenue (now Pembroke) on the north, and Lee's corner on the west.|
|Author||Robert S. Hudgins|
Hudgins, Robert S.
Magruder, John Bankhead, General
Phillips, Jefferson Curle (CSA Army)
Vaughan, William R., Dr. (Also spelled Voughan)
Cary, Gill A.
Jones, George Booker
Sinclair, Jefferson Bonaparte, II/Maj.
Sinclair, Fayette, Dr.
Structure--Big Bethel Church
Structure--Hampton City Circuit Court
Structure--Hampton Baptist Church
Structure--St. John's Church
Burning of Hampton (1861)
|Related Items||Show Related Records...|
Open document in new window to view at full size.
To view above Place Names on map, open map in new window and click on place name in the list at left.