|Title||Letter describing Ruins of Hampton|
|Description/Scope & Content||Letter written by Charles Luther, a Union soldier of "C" Co. Vermont 6th Infantry, stationed in the Hampton and Newport News area in March and April 1862, to his brothers. He describes camp in Alexandria and transport on steamer "Catskill" to Fort Monroe and Hampton, which he describes in ruins - "This place, you remember, was burned by the rebels last fall. It looks as if was once a fine place built mostly of brick, but now it is a collection of chimneys, columns, broken walls, etc..", followed by description of fishing for oysters and other shell fish when camped "about two miles" from town. On March 27, Luther's unit marched "about 15 miles", where they encountered a Rebel picket, which "burned a bridge behind them so that we could not follow." In the following days, the unit made a camp "about a mile from Newport News", followed along the River, and took possession of a Rebel fort, which they found deserted, and passed through the town of Warwick, after which they skirmished with their enemy, finally made a camp in the woods, and retreated after their enemy re-approached.|
|Extent of Description||3 sheets (12 pages folded)|
Burning of Hampton (1861)
Area--Newport News (City of)
Open document in new window to view at full size.
To view above Place Names on map, open map in new window and click on place name in the list at left.