Hampton History Museum logo
Hampton History Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2011.22.564
Title 19th century plats of rural properties
Credit line Courtesy of Ann Chambers Mennell, in memory of Girard Chambers, Jr.
Collection Girard Chambers, Jr. Collection
Object Type Map
Description/Scope & Content -Plat, labeled "Water Front 1 ½ Miles front on Arable lands nearly 1 ½ Miles Cultivation about 1 1/8 x 3/3 Mile 800 Acres" and "Copy of Original Owned by Girard Chambers Jr. Land Surveyor Aug-10-2000 Straight Lines are Where Original Was Folded. Drawn by City Engineer Baltimore 1868." Includes Celey's Plantation and "Parkers Land," located in the Wythe district, and shows its relative location to Downtown Hampton, "Fortress Monroe," and Hampton Roads. Also includes the James River, Chesapeake Bay, "Rip Raps," "Sewalls Point," and an area of Hampton Roads labeled "Oyster Beds and Fishing Grounds."

-Handwritten note "To the honorable Baker P. Lee judge of the county court of Elizabeth city county, Virginia" from county surveyor Richard Armstrong regarding a survey of the land previously owned by Charles Burgess and requested by Andrew Williams. Note includes a sketch of the lot and includes "Howard St. Old Buckroe Road." Lower left corner reads, "Book 5 P. 45." Dated December 1897.


-Plat, labeled "Manys Lilliston Land Adjoins Darling's Moore Tract." Surveyed by William Ivy. Undated.

-Handwritten note regarding a lot consisting of "Three hundred and eighty four acres of vacant Marsh land" located in the "State of North Carolina, Currituck County." Signed by Caleb L. Etheridge. Dated July 1844.

-Plat, two pages, of Capt. Johnson Mallory's land in Elizabeth City County which consisted of 34 acres.

-Hand-drawn plat of C. F. Bryant's properties showing property transfer information on divided lots. Unsigned, likely created by Girard Chambers. Dated 1946.

-Reverse side of C. F. Bryant property survey. Includes names of property owners and a sketch of the intersection of "Celey St." and "Co. Road." Note on sheet reads, "South Riverview."
Creator Chambers, Girard, Sr.
Other Creators Nicholson, Thomas L.
Chambers, Girard, Jr.
Armstrong, Richard
Related Items Show Related Records...
People Albertson
Armistead
Blue, Joe
Bridgeforth, E. J.
Bryant, C. F.
Burgess
Burnham
Celey
Cumming
Darling
Etheridge, Caleb L.
Fisher, E. J.
Hibbard, S. V.
Johnson
Latimer, George
Lee, Baker P., Judge
Lillaston, Manys
Litchfield, John
Lloyd, L. E.
Mallory, Johnson, Capt.
Malory
Moore
Parker
Parker, W. H.
Phillips, Benjamin
Phillips, James
Phillips, Mabel G.
Pierce, William
Rawlins, W. R., Jr.
Rogers, Charles A.
Saunders, J.
Sheffield, L. A.
Shepherd, John Wilson
Stacey
Thompson, Clark
Thornton, Francis
Veach, Mary O.
Wallace, James
Watson
Williams, Andrew
Topics Farming/Agriculture
Seafood Industry
Place Names Waterway--Hampton Roads
Waterway--Hampton River
District08--Downtown
District--Fort Monroe
District07--Phoebus/HU
District09--Wythe
Site--Celey's Farm
Site--Olde Wythe Historic District
Media/Interactives
To view above Place Names on map, open map in new window and click on place name in the list at left.