Hampton History Museum logo
Hampton History Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2011.22.341
Title Turkey Neck Tract (File Drawer G)
Credit line Courtesy of Ann Chambers Mennell, in memory of Girard Chambers, Jr.
Collection Girard Chambers, Jr. Collection
Object Type Map
Description/Scope & Content Multiple plats and drawings of properties in Heffelfinger's Turkey Neck Tract located in the Downtown district near the Back River and the intersection of present-day N. Armistead Avenue and Rip Rap Road. 1871-1952.

-"Plat of the Taylor Property on Back Road, Divided into Lots." Includes Back Road (currently N. Armistead Avenue) and Fox Hill Road(currently Rip Rap Road). Also includes "New Bridge Creek" (Back River). Surveyed by E. A. Semple. Dated July 31, 1884.

-Plat, labeled "Turkey Neck Tract Lot No. 7" and "Property of Thoms. Harmond." Includes Back River Road (currently N. Armistead Avenue). Also includes areas labeled "Marsh," "Clear Land," and "Bethel Tract," as well as a portion of "New Bridge Creek" (Back River). Lower left corner reads, "Drawer G." Surveyed by Girard Chambers. Dated November 1, 1910.

-Hand-drawn plat, labeled "Made this Survey at Request of Tazwell Taylor who Purchased the same [writing unclear] Having Been Held as the Property of John Armistead…" Includes New Bridge Road (currently N. Armistead Avenue) and Main Fox Hill Road (currently Rip Rap Road). Also includes a section of the Back Riverand an area labeled "Bethel." Note on sheet reads, "D. B. 2-457." Surveyed by William Ivy. Dated March 2, 1871.

-Hand-drawn portion of plat, labeled "T. Harmond." Includes New Bridge Creek (Back River) and a portion of present-day N. Armistead Avenue. Plat unsigned, likely surveyed by E. A. Semple. Undated.

-Plat, labeled "Louis Heffelfinger's Land. Turkey Neck Tract." Includes Fox Hill Road (currently Rip Rap Road), Back River County Road (currently N. Armistead Avenue), West Avenue, 2nd Street (currently Foley Street), Rowe Street, Guy Street, Chiles Street (does not currently exist), Reed Street (currently does not exist as pictured) and Heffelfinger Avenue (currently Heffelfinger Street and Albert E. Simpson Street). Also includes a section of the C. & O. Railway and areas labeled "Ransome Bethel Tract" and "Langley Park." Surveyed by Girard Chambers. Dated January 1927.

-"Plat-Part of Turkey Neck Tract." Includes "Thirty Foot Road" (currently Thomas Street), Bassette Avenue (Bassette Street), Owens Street, Patrick Street, and "State Road" (currently N. Armistead Avenue). Also includes areas labeled "Harmondville" and "Langley Park." Lower left corner reads, "Field Book 45-113." Surveyed by Girard Chambers. Undated.

-"Plat of Proposed Widening of Owens Street from the Present 20 Ft. Width to 30 Feet. The Extra 10Ft. Strip to be Given by Leonard-H-Powell and McA. Walker." Includes "Thirty Foot Road" (currently Thomas Street), Bassette Avenue (Bassette Street), Owens Street, Patrick Street, and "State Road" (currently N. Armistead Avenue). Also includes areas labeled "Harmondville" and "Langley Park." Surveyed by Girard Chambers. Dated June 21, 1948.

-"Plat of Thos-H-Wilson's Property Being a Part of Turkey Neck Tract." Includes "State Road" (currently N. Armistead Avenue) and "Proposed Driveway" (currently Thomas Street). Also includes New Bridge Stream (Back River) and areas labeled "High Land" and "Marsh." Lower left corner reads, "Queen Tr. File Drawer 6." Surveyed by Girard Chambers. Dated May 20, 1932.

-"Plat of Taylor-C-Wilson's Property Being a Part of Turkey Neck Tract." Includes "State Road" (currently N. Armistead Avenue) and "20 Ft. Driveway" (currently Thomas Street). Also includes New Bridge Stream (Back River) and a structure labeled "House." Lower left corner reads, "F-B-35 Queen Tr. File Drawer 2." Surveyed by Girard Chambers. Dated August 25, 1935.

-Portion of hand-drawn plat, labeled "Mrs. A. E. Taylor Property of River Road." Includes River Road (currently N. Armistead Avenue) and Fox Hill Road (currently Rip Rap Road). Also includes a protion of the Harmondville subdivision. Surveyed by E. A. Semple. Dated July 31, 1884.

-Drawing of Turkey Neck Tract roads. Untitled, notes indicate property transfers. Includes a portion of the C. & O. Railway, N. Armistead Avenue, and Rip Rap Road. Plat unsigned. Dates range 1927-1932.

-"A Copy from my Survey of the Above Portion of Land Made at the Request of Mr. Tazwell Taylor." Handwritten note reads, "See Chambers Survey of High land of Lot 7." Includes two "Public Roads" (currently N. Armistead Avenue and Rip Rap Road) and the Back River. Surveyed by William Ivy. Dated June 9, 1884.

-"Plat- Remainder of Louis Heffelfinger's Land Turkey Neck Tract." Includes Fox Hill County Road (currently Rip Rap Road), Heffelfinger Avenue, Chiles Street (does not currently exist), Guy Street, Rowe Street, and 2nd Street (currently Foley Avenue). Also includes areas labeled "Ransome Bethel Tract" and "Langley Park." Surveyed by Girard Chambers. Dated November 24, 1933.

-"Plat of C-W-W-H-G-L-J-L-C-W Jr. Lockwood's Lot Purchased from Wm-H-Amory's Estate Being Part of Heffelfinger's Turckey Neck Tract." Includes Chiles Street (does not currently exist), Reed Street, and Heffelfinger Avenue. Also includes areas labeled "Langley Park" and "Martinville." Lower right corner reads, "F-B 46-42." Surveyed by Girard Chambers, Jr. Dated August 14, 1952.

-"Plat of C-W-Lockwood's Property Formerly Part of Heffelfinger's Turkey Neck Tract." Includes Chiles Street (does not currently exist), Heffelfinger Avenue, and Back River Road. Lower left corner reads, "F-B 46-42." Surveyed by Girard Chambers, Jr. Dated February 7, 1944.

-Plat, labeled "Hoagland Brown." Includes streets that do not currently exist as pictured: Chiles Street, Virginia Street, Reed Street, Hampton Street, Brown Street, and Back River Road (currently N. Armistead Avenue). Plat unsigned. Dated September 25, 1897.

-Plat, labeled "Map of Part of Harmondville Property of Thos. Harmond." Includes Harmond Street, Bassette Street (both currently Thomas Street), Owens Street, and Patrick Street. Note on plat reads, "See Chambers Survey of Childs Now Cemetery." Surveyed by Girard Chambers. Dated July 1904.
Creator Chambers, Girard, Jr.
Other Creators Chambers, Girard, Sr.
Semple, E.A.
Ivy, William
Related Items Show Related Records...
People Amory, William H.
Booker, Richard Marshall, Sr. ("Dick")
Boyenten, J. W.
Chiles, E. B.
Diggs, Mrs. C. S.
Drummond, Lewis
Harmond, Thomas
Heffelfinger, Louis
Holtzclaw, Charles Taylor
Hope, Richard
Lilliston, T.M.
Lockwood, C. W.
Miles, Geo
Powell, Leonard H.
Randall, A. M.
Randall, W.
Roberson, I.
Royals, Clyde R.
Taylor, A. E.
Taylor, Tazewell
Turner, L. A.
Walker, Mc. A.
Waring, Sinclair
Wilson, Allie W.
Wilson, Jesse
Wilson, Taylor C.
Wilson, Thomas H.
Topics Railways/Streetcars
Place Names District08--Downtown
Waterway--Back River
Site--C. & O. Railroad
Site--Old North Hampton Community
Media/Interactives
To view above Place Names on map, open map in new window and click on place name in the list at left.