Hampton History Museum logo
Hampton History Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 2011.22.974
Title Lee's Properties (File Drawer A)
Credit line Courtesy of Ann Chambers Mennell, in memory of Girard Chambers, Jr.
Collection Girard Chambers, Jr. Collection
Object Type Map
Description/Scope & Content Multiple plats of properties on Richard C. Lee's Little England Tract near Old Celey Road. Properties East of LaSalle Avenue are located in the Downtown district, properties West of LaSalle are located in the Wythe district. Two plats include a proposed Race Tract located West of LaSalle Avenue. Surveys completed by Girard Chambers Sr. and Jr. Dated 1866-1956.

-Plat, labeled "Plat of Richard-C-Lee's Land Formerly Tabb & Bright Tracts Part of Little England." Includes W. Queen Street, LaSalle Avenue, Old Celey Road, Holt Street (currently Settler's Landing Road), Chapel Street, Lee Street, Newport News Avenue, Worster Avenue, Old Shell Road (Shell Road), Augusta Street, Ida Street, England Avenue, Milford Avenue, Homestead Avenue, Ridgeway Avenue, and North Street (currently Newport News Avenue). Lower left corner reads, "Drawer 'A.'" Surveyed by Girard Chambers & Son. Dated September 1940.

-Plat, labeled "Plat of the Tabb & Whiting Tract Surveyed at Request of Court" and "Note this originally contained 90.52 acres being a part of 'Little England' Tract Wm. Holmes bought 2 acres leaving 88.52." Includes Old Celey Road, Newmarket Road (currently Settlers Landing Road), "Newport News and Hampton Shell Road" (currently Shell Road), and Otley Avenue (does not currently exist as pictured). Sheet has multiple notes including "Coms of Partition in Suit of Woodfin & Armstron vs. Whiting et. als.," "Recorded D-B 35-230," and references to other plats. Surveyed by Girard Chambers. Dated August 10, 1900.

-Plat of the little England subdivision, untitled. Includes LaSalle Avenue, Old Celey Road, Chapel Street, Lee Street, Newport News Avenue, Worster Avenue, Agusta Street, and Old Shell Road (Shell Road). Also includes a section of the Westhampton subdivision. Unsigned, undated.

-Plat, labeled "Richard-C-Lee's Land." Includes LaSalle Avenue, Old Celey Road, Shell Road, Ridgeway Avenue, Homestead Avenue, Fairland Avenue, and Milford Avenue. Lower left corner reads, "Drawer 'A.'" Surveyed by Girard Chambers & Son. Undated.

-Plat, labeled "Plat of Richard-C-Lee's Land Formerly Part of Little England Tract." Includes LaSalle Avenue, Old Celey Road, Shell Road, Ridgeway Avenue, Homestead Avenue, Fairland Avenue, and Milford Avenue. Lower right corner reads, "File Drawer A F-B-45-150." Surveyed by Girard Chambers & Son. Dated May 31, 1943.

-Plat, labeled "Plat-Part of Richard-C-Lee's Property Purchased by Paul-R-Bickford Formerly Part of the Little England Tr." Includes Ridgeway Avenue and North Street (currently Newport News Avenue). Lower left corner reads, "A." Surveyed by Girard Chambers & Son. Dated September 1, 1949.

-Plat, labeled "Plat- Part of Richard-C-Lee's Estate Formerly Part of Little England." Includes LaSalle Avenue, Lee Street, Newport News Avenue, Old Celey Road, Worster Avenue, and Agusta Street. Also includes a section of the Westhampton suvdivision. Surveyed by Girard Chambers & Son. Dated December 1, 1947.
-Plat, labeled "Plat of Addition to Block E Westhampton Section C Property Wilmar Construction Corp. Part R-C-Lee's Little England Tract." Includes LaSalle Avenue, Lee Street, and Old Celey Road. Note on plat reads, "Rec. 249-127." Surveyed by Girard Chambers, Jr. Dated April 14, 1956.

-Plat, labeled "Plat of Proposed Extension of Lee St. and Newport News Ave. Through R-C-Lee Est. to La-Salle Ave. Ext." Includes LaSalle Avenue, Lee Street, Newport News Avenue, and Old Celey Road. Also includes a section of the Westhampton subdivision. Lower left corner reads, "A F-B 47-32." Surveyed by Girard Chambers & Son. Dated June 27, 1947.

-Sketch, labeled "Race Track Lee's Farm" and "Lawson Last Layout." Includes a structure labeled "Ross House." Unsigned, undated.

-Plat, labeled "A Preliminary Survey Ed Bright's Land." Notes on plat read, "Ivy Survs Pg. 38" and "Geo-Melson to Julia-A-Smithers, D-B-97." Includes a "County Road (currently Settlers Landing Road)." Lower left corner reads, "Drawer I." Surveyed by Girard Chambers. Dated January 20, 1866.
Creator Chambers, Girard, Sr.
Other Creators Chambers, Girard, Jr.
People Armstrong
Bickford, Paul R.
Bright, E.
Holmes, Benjamin
Holmes, Willilam
Jarvis
Lawson
Lee, Richard C.
Livezy, John G.
Mason, R. I.
McDonald, John R.
McDonald, Kenneth
Melson, George
Robinson, John C.
Sheild, M. A.. Dr.
Smithers, Julia A.
Tabb
Whiting, A. C.
Woodfin
Place Names District08--Downtown
District09--Wythe
Site--Racetrack2
Media/Interactives
To view above Place Names on map, open map in new window and click on place name in the list at left.