|Title||Hampton Fire Department|
|Description/Scope & Content||
Page of booklet, _Hampton Illustrated_ (1892), showing Hampton Fire Department.
The image was reprinted in the Daily Press, January 12, 1941, with identifications: "It was almost a half-century ago when the Hampton fire department proudly put its "most modern" equipment on display for the camera-man in the above picture….Three of the company's members, now dead, are: W.L. Gleason, driver, seated on the old horse-drawn fire engine; Robert L. Massenburg, foreman of the company, and LeRoy Shields, both standing by the old hook and ladder wagon. The center building is the old firehouse which has since been remodeled. The building on the left at the time the picture was taken was the Patrick Henry lodge of Odd Fellows and caught fire and burned later. The building on the right of the picture is the old Elizabeth City county jail. It was since been remodeled and an addition has been added…."
|Related Items||Show Related Records...|
Gleason, W. L.
Massenburg, Robert L.
Fire Departments/Law Enforcement
Structure--Hampton Fire Department
Structure--Odd Fellows Lodge
To view above Place Names on map, open map in new window and click on place name in the list at left.