|Title||Plat of hospital campus on Mill Creek|
|Credit line||Courtesy of Ann Chambers Mennell, in memory of Girard Chambers, Jr.|
|Collection||Girard Chambers, Jr. Collection|
|Description/Scope & Content||
Multiple documents regarding a hospital property in the Phoebus district near Mill Creek.
-Plat, labeled "A Plat of J. Wilson's Land." Located in the Phoebus district including Buckroe Beach Railway (currently N. Mallory Street) and multiple unlabeled streets (present-day Wilson Lane, Central Street, and Oldfield Street). Note on right side of sheet describes property transfer from "J-N-Wilson to J-M-Cumming DB 31-303" and that the plat is recorded in "D.B. 30-119." Surveyed by E. A. Semple. Undated.
-Document, titled "Old Point Water Front Corporation Land." The document details property line divisions and respective owners of land located in the Phoebus district near Mill Creek. Includes Deed Book information where property transfer records can be located. Handwritten note on left side of sheet reads, "File Box 88." Unsigned. Undated.
-Newspaper article, titled "Work on the New Hospital" regarding the progress of a hospital to be built "on the shores of Mill Creek." The article names Assistant Quartermaster Mellay as a supervisor of this project. This structure is likely Mill Creek Hospital which was constructed to handle a yellow fever epidemic in 1898. Article unsigned. Dated August 16, 1898.
Crook, Edward D.
Cumming, James McPherson, Sr.
Richardson, J. W.
Richardson, William W.
Schmelz, George Anton
Shelton, C. C.
Wilson, J. N.
Site--Mill Creek Hospital
To view above Place Names on map, open map in new window and click on place name in the list at left.